Contact: email@example.com 312.622.3012
Living Future Accredited, WELL AP, LEED Fellow, BD+C, O+M
Since 2001, John has supported clients in shaping sustainability strategies that succeed for the environment, people, and for the bottom line. He excels at uniting disparate stakeholders around a common vision and has facilitated integrative design processes for large private, federal, and institutional projects. Trained in leading sustainability frameworks such as LEED, LBC, WELL, GRI, GHG Inventories, and ISO 14001, John brings a unique perspective to understanding client challenges.
His project experience includes leading the sustainable design process for the Department of Homeland Security’s Bio and Agro-Defense Facility–one of the most complex LEED projects in the country. He has also done a significant amount of international work–particularly in the Middle East–including sustainable design and LEED for Princess Nora bint Abdul Rahman and King Saud bin Abdulaziz University campuses, Kuwait Gulf Oil Company, and sustainable design recommendations for the Grand Mosque expansion in Saudi Arabia. With John’s support, clients are able to navigate the healthy materials and transparency landscape including HPDs, the LBC Red List, and leading product libraries and tools.
He is a Living Building Challenge Ambassador and Living Future Accredited by the International Living Future Institute. He is active in his community and leverages his experience as an environmental commissioner appointed by the mayor.
Before joining YR&G, John was a core member of the sustainability team at a large design firm and led sustainable design on projects across offices–specifically on campuses and within the Science+Technology market sector.
Accreditations & Affiliations
- Living Future Accredited
- Living Building Challenge Ambassador
- WELL AP
- LEED AP BD+C, O+M
- The Climate Reality Project-Educator
- Legacy LEED-AP (NC v2.0)
- 90-hour Read Estate Brokerage Licensure
- ISO 14001 Lead Auditor Training April
- Global Reporting Initiative Certified Training Program
- Organizational Greenhouse Gas Accounting Training
- Labs21 Certified Instructor
- Donella Meadows Leadership Fellows Program
- Home Energy Rater (REM/Rate)
Select Publications and Presentations
- “Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Atlanta,” Mlade, J., Thomas, V., Tindall, N., Borin, S., Okwo, A., Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA:2012.
- “How our Designs Must Adapt to a Hotter World,” Fast Company – Co.Design: April 2011, June 2012.
- “Strategies for Achieving LEED Indoor Environmental Quality Points for Laboratory Facilities,” Mlade, J., Vyas, N.: November 2010. (Produced on behalf of the National Institutes of Health as part of the campus sustainability contract with Perkins+Will).
- “Sustainable Lab Operations,” Mlade, J., Vyas, N., Lab Manager Magazine: April 2010.
- Oxford College Sustainability Action Plan, Emory Oxford College. Oxford, GA: 2008.
- “From Green Chemistry Curriculum to Laboratory Design,” Mlade, J., Morgan, E., Environmental Design and Construction: July 2008.
- “Bio-Inspired Design: Applying Nature’s Genius to Buildings,” Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO: 2005.
- “Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Atlanta,” Thomas, V., Mlade, J., Tindall, N., Borin, S., Okwo, A., Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA: 2013.
- Watch, D. (2008) Building Type Basics for Research Laboratories, Second Edition. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Contributor to Chapter 4: Sustainable Design.
- “Green Up!,” Watch, D., Mlade, J.,Lab Manager Magazine: November 2008.